CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Farewell, Tim Russert

I couldn't believe it on Friday when I heard it, and I'm still in shock over the death of Tim Russert. While I live in Buffalo now, I grew up on the local news stations and have been watching Russert grill his guests for as long as I can remember. He was a true professional, fair with his questions, and held people accountable. He had a boyish love for politics and for politicians. Most importantly, he loved his family and devoted his life to making his father proud by conducting himself with dignity and always staying true to his South Buffalo roots.

South Buffalo? Yep, South Buffalo. Unless you live here, you don't realize what that means. South Buffalo has a personality all its own, and is one of the places that immigrant workers first settled during the height of Buffalo's days as a port town. Many of those workers were Irish, and now South Buffalo is known for it's Irish heritage. The Irish Center is there, and Chris plays music there often, including several St. Patrick's Day celebrations. Believe me when I say that the South Buffalo Irish are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

This morning I woke up with a heavy heart. I knew the moderator's chair would be empty, but I knew that Tom Brokaw would lead the charge and fondly remember Tim. Sure enough, he did. From the short pieces on the 8-9 hour of the Today Show, on into the 9 AM hour of Meet the Press, I did nothing but cry, sniffle, rub my eyes and blow my nose. I was a spectacle, but I'm sure not the only one tearfully mourning the loss of one of Buffalo's favorite sons.

On this Father's Day, we remember Tim for all he did for politics, Buffalo, and his family.

I am of course reminded of my dad as well. I phoned him tonight after Tiger pushed the US Open into another day. We agreed that Tiger was a true sportsman, and my dad said, "You know, sometimes I think he just does this to fuck with people." I told Chris, and we are rolling with laughter.

Happy Father's Day, Dad!

And farewell, Tim Russert.




0 comments: